Ask any fitness enthusiast how they begin their day and there’s a very good chance that the answer would involve oats in one capacity or another.
Gluten free, loaded with fibre and packing a massive 17 grams of protein per cup (100 grams), oats have rightly earned their place in the ‘Superfood Hall of Fame’! They are also a great source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and provide health benefits such as lowering blood pressure and cholesterol, among others.
Available in all the supermarkets the most common dish made of oats remains to be the simple yet delicious oat porridge. But if you are bored of eating oat porridge every day, here are 5 awesome recipes that will have you change the way you look at oats!
1. Chocolate Oat Porridge
How can anything with chocolate go wrong? Combining the health benefits of oats to the gooey goodness of cocoa, the chocolate oat porridge is the perfect breakfast of the champions.
- 1-3 cup of oats
- 1 teaspoon artificial sweetener
- 1 teaspoon 100% cocoa powder
- 1-2 cup of water
- Add the oat, cocoa powder in a bowl and stir till there are no lumps in the cocoa powder.
- Add water to this mix and microwave at 600°C for 1 minute 30 seconds.
- Stir and leave for at least a minute.
- Let it cool for a few minutes and serve.
2. Eggless Whole Wheat Oat Cookies
Have a cookie craving? Why not satisfy it with these crunchy and crispy oatmeal cookies combining the health benefits of oats with the wholesome goodness of whole wheat!
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 100 gm of butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 tablespoon of milk
- 100 gm of oats
- 140 gm of whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Add butter, sugar, vanilla and milk in a large bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Take another bowl and all the oats, flour, cinnamon powder and baking soda and mix well.
- Add the content of the second bowl to the butter mixture and knead until the cookie dough comes together.
- Preheat the oven at 175°C.
- Divide the cookie dough into equal parts and form into round balls.
- Place on a greased or nonstick cookie tray.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes for crisp cookies.
3. Oats Upma
Give a healthy oat-filled twist to one of the most common breakfast item, the Upma with this amazing recipe.
- 1 cup oats
- 1 onion cut into cubic pieces
- ¼ cup chopped vegetables (carrots, peas or beans)
- 2 green chillies
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon of chopped ginger
- 1 pinch of Hing
- ¼ teaspoon of mustard
- ¼ teaspoon of cumin
- 1.5 tablespoons of peanut
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1 small tomato
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Add oil to a hot pan.
- When the oil is hot, add cumin, mustard, dal and Hing.
- Once the dal turns golden add curry leaves, green chilli and finely chopped vegetables.
- Fry till onions and vegetables are soft. Cover and cook if needed.
- Add 1 cup oats, salt and fry for one to two minutes.
- Sprinkle 3 tbsp water. Mix. Cover and cook for two minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, grated coconuts and serve hot.
4. Oat Dosa
Here’s another kickass oat recipe to kickstart your day. Simple yet super nutritious and fulfilling, the wholesome oat dosa recipe will keep you energised for the day.
- 1 cup of oats
- ¼ cup of rice flour
- ¼ cup of rava
- 1 teaspoon of Jeera
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped green chilly
- A pinch of pepper powder
- Oil – as required
- Salt – to taste
- Water – as required
- Dry roast oats for 3-5 mins till a nutty aroma comes and the colour of oats slightly changes. Allow the oats to cool down then powder it finely.
- Add a little oil and saute the onions, green chillies for 2mins.
- Add oats powder, rice flour, rava, jeera, onion, green chillies, pepper powder, salt and mix well.
- Add water and make a thin rava dosa batter. Heat the dosa tawa and to this add one ladle of batter.
- Sprinkle some oil and allow the batter to cook until golden brown.
- Turn over to the other side, cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve hot.
5. Oat Poha
Poha continues to be a hot favourite of many Indians, especially in central and west India. Here’s another recipe with the nutritious oats that will make you realise just how much can be done with oats.
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- ½ cup of poha
- ¼ roasted chana dal
- 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds
- 2 Green chillies
- 1 sprig of curry Leaves
- 1 pinch of hing
- 1 pinch of haldi
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoon of oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, green chillies and curry leaves. Fry for some time.
- When the seeds start crackling, add the hing and haldi powder and mix well.
- Add the oats, poha, papad, chana dal, sugar and salt and mix well.
- Add some crushed papads to taste and serve with a slide of lime.
There, five awesome yet simple recipes that will help you savour your favourite health food even more. The best part about all the above recipes is that all of them use easy to find, day to day ingredients. We hope you enjoy your meal! If you know any more recipes, please share with us in the comments below.
I read this article. I think You put a great deal of exertion to make this article. I like your work.